The following nine pieces of advice, written by a policeman, could save you or a loved one from physical harm or worse.
1. Take a tip from Tae Kwon Do. The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!
2. Learned this from a tourist guide. If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you. Chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you. He will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out a back taillight, stick your arm out the hole, and start waving like crazy. The driver won't see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.
4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc. DON'T DO THIS!) The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.
If someone manages to enter the car's back seat and puts a gun to your head DO NOT DRIVE OFF, Repeat: DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your Air Bag will save you. The person is in the back seat they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes, bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.
5. A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, or parking garage:
A. Remain aware. Look around; look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat.
B. If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
C. Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out. IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)
6. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT!)
7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times; and even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN, Preferably in a zigzag pattern!
8. Women can be sympathetic. STOP! It may get you raped, or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well-educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked "for help" into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.
9. Another Safety Point: Someone just told me that her friend heard a crying baby on her porch. She thought it was weird, and called the police because it was late in the evening. The police told her “Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door.”
The lady then said that it sounded like the baby had crawled near a window, She was worried that it would crawl to the street and get run over. The policeman said, “We already have a unit on the way. Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door.” The police told her that they thought a baby's cry had been recorded and was being used to coax women out of their homes.
This had not been verified, but police had received several calls from women who said they hear a baby crying outside their doors when they're home alone at night. The Crying Baby Theory was mentioned on America 's Most Wanted when they profiled a serial killer in Louisiana
10. Water scam! If you wake up in the middle of the night to hear all your taps outside running or what you think is a burst pipe, DO NOT GO OUTSIDE TO INVESTIGATE! Turning on all your outside taps full blast is a ploy to get you outside and vulnerable to an assault or worse.
Forward this to all the women you know. And this is not for the ladies only. Guys, if you love your mothers, wives, sisters, daughters, etc, pass this on to them, as well. Everyone needs to be reminded that the world we live in has a lot of crazies in it. It's better to be safe than sorry.